What is this?

What is this? I don't really know, other then a continuation of my updates and writings that I was sharing previously on Caringbridge of this journey through cancer and now widowhood and single parenting.

Maybe it won't end up being anything at all, or maybe it will be a glimpse into my heart, my life, my current situation, my testimony.

Whatever it becomes, I am touched that you are interested.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Hometown Glory!

I wanted to take a moment to write about the amazing benefit that my hometown friends organized for me this past Friday.


When I was told that there were a few people that wanted to do a fundraiser for Aria and I, I assumed that it would be maybe an online thing that would get forwarded around.


But oh how wrong I was!


My goodness, they rented a hall and had a team of 15-20 local friends organizing the event with spreadsheets & planning meetings.


Many individuals donated time, money, raffle gifts and services. Then local businesses, small and large, donated services, products and raffle gifts.


There was a WALL of food and beverages. Then there were T-Shirts for sale, music, product consultant tables, craft tables, balloon animals and face painting for kids and a caricature artist. There were probably nearly 50 items being raffled off; artwork, a Kindle Fire, full NYC weekend getaway package, baskets with hundreds of dollars of swag, sports tickets, cosmetics...you name it, it probably was there! Then additional games and activities.


Hundreds of people were in attendance. I was truly amazed not only by the support from my fellow classmates, but also from their families, friends and coworkers and from the local community.


It was wonderful seeing so many people I have not seen in so long. This definitely can show the positive side of social media. It was strangely awesome to not have actually spoken to some people in 13 years, but because I was let into their online life, I knew of their children and jobs and were able to pop right into easy conversation.


Quite a few people snagged me and introduced themselves and offered me their condolences as I dashed from here to there to try to chat with as many people as I could. Thank you to those who I met, and I'm so sorry if I didn't get to personally speak with each and every one of you!


Unfortunately, it was all a bit overwhelming for Aria and she would not let anyone hold her but me, so I definitely had some sore shoulders after that! But she hung in there, that was a lot of activity for her little baby eyes and ears.


While we were in the Nursing Facility Brandon had said, 'I have never felt so loved by so many people.' I wish I knew what words he would have to top that statement if he had been able to see the outcome of Friday's event too.


I don't know how much or if any of our earthly doings our loved ones are aware of in Heaven. I believe they longingly and with excitement anticipate our arrival to join them. We are not forgotten just because we remain on the other side of Heaven. So I like to think that God allows those that precede us to know of the blessings we receive, and how He is providing for us until we are reunited. If so, I can't even imagine the tears of joy Brandon shed knowing of such amazing community support and love shown to Aria and I, as he lived in the area for 8 years himself.


I know I am missing other very noteworthy details about Friday that I am going to kick myself for not mentioning. Forgive me, I am exhausted. :)


But once again, THANK YOU to everyone who came, donated and contributed. A HUGE thank you to the lovely group of ladies (and many of their men too!) that sacrificed so much of their time and efforts to make that evening such a huge success, bringing in about $8,000 that I am putting towards Aria's future, (as long as I can cover the medical bills otherwise).


And to top it off, they want to do it again next year! How blessed am I?!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!