What is this?

What is this? I don't really know, other then a continuation of my updates and writings that I was sharing previously on Caringbridge of this journey through cancer and now widowhood and single parenting.

Maybe it won't end up being anything at all, or maybe it will be a glimpse into my heart, my life, my current situation, my testimony.

Whatever it becomes, I am touched that you are interested.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Destination Sadness

Onboard a plane, destination sadness. Or at least that's the goal. 


Well that was kind of dramatic...<rolling my eyes>


On September 23rd it will be 3 years since Brandon died. It took 3 years to use that word instead of "passed". 


It seems silly that I need to seek out sadness. Connect with my loss. Most would think I've spent enough time with sadness in these 3 years. But no - seems I've avoided it like the plague. I guess it's not all that uncommon.  But it did take me by surprise.  


I worked SO hard on my grief. I went to therapy. I got involved in support groups. I attended Griefshare and grief seminars. I read books, listened to pod casts and journaled. I started a monthly Young & Widowed support group at the HeartLight Center. I thought I had "dealt" with this. 


On the contrary I'm finding that I accepted my grief, but I never felt my grief.


That first year I was in shock and survival mode. From diagnosis thru death I had to stay strong to show Brandon I could do this. He broke when he'd see me cry, so I couldn't. He could no longer be my strength when I was weak - so I had to be strong for both him and Aria. I could not allow myself to feel the pain, fear and anxiety that was bearing down on me as I watched him slip away.


Then I had a newborn and Lupus and a house and a job to take care of on my own. I simply could not allow myself to feel, I had to just do. 


So I "did" grief. I did everything I could. I kept myself busy, I smiled and laughed. On rare occasions tears would slip through the facade, then I'd logic them away with statements of faith and acceptance. 


I could not allow myself to carry the sadness because I feared I could not hold one more thing without it all crashing down. 


So I didn't. 


And I became quite good at compartmentalizing those feelings. 


But the reality I have found is like the quote: "That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt."  


I think now that I am engaged to Karl and in a loving and supportive relationship the walls of those compartments are coming down because unconsciously I know that someone will be there if I fall, so now I can take this on. And in due timing as I think the sadness and pain and fear are starting to overflow those walls and seep into other areas to get the attention they need. 


This is surely a realization I do not want to face.  To be honest I'm annoyed. I thought I had done the hard work. 


Trust me, I know that everyone's grief journey is different, and we do not "complete" this - we "incorporate" it, and we need to be gentle with ourselves, and I'm doing the best I can with what I have and blah blah blah. Yes, all of that is absolutely true - but it doesn't make it any less annoying or scary to have to deal with.


I'm tired. 


I'm tired of dealing with grief. 


...Or not dealing with grief. 



So I sit here on a bench in Miami staring out at the water, writing and trying to connect with the sadness I have distracted myself from. To feel it and give it a home in my heart. 


It's hard. 


I keep trying to "schedule" my grieving. I do it when I go up to his grave. When I run to Miami. But the truth of it is that I can't do it that way. Yes, it gives me needed time for reflection, but not authentic bereavement.  


I will need to feel the sadness when it surfaces, of course at the most inopportune moments in life.  And I know I need to give it that space instead of stuffing it back in that box.   


I need to incorporate it.


And embrace it.


Wish me luck...







3 comments:

  1. Christina, in all the world, few people have been more blessed than you...showered by God's grace, filled to over flowing with Jesus rich presence and given families from around the world to pray for you, financially support you and help you in your hours of darkest need. Bonnie was your tireless ally, leaving no stone unturned to try and help you and Brandon. Her fund raising efforts on your behalf were extraordinary to say the least. Her love knew no bounds. All of us not only poured out our money in response to your financial requests we prayed and fasted believing God would do great things and He did. Brandon is forever with the Lord and we continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Christina! I have been so busy with changes that I have missed quite a few blog posts. Congrats, first of all, on your engagement. May the Lord continue to guide and help you and Karl as you face a future together. Thank you for posting about the long difficult road of grief. Nothing to be ashamed about. Thank God for every mercy of His, even for the space you need so that you can grieve well. God continues to uphold you and Aria with His everlasting arms. Rest there and continue the journey knowing you have the strongest support possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post keep it up. I like your post you work well. Entire post really Awesome! Thank you for all the hard work you put into it. It's really shows. i read you all post i love to read your post and you work well.
    sad images hd
    status of punjabi
    sad whatsapp status in punjabi
    punjabi sad status messages

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!